Dr. Derek Greene is Assistant Professor at the School of Computer Science, University College Dublin, and a Funded Investigator at the Insight Centre for Data Analytics and the VistaMilk SFI Research Centre. He has over 16 years' experience in the field of machine learning, with a PhD in Computer Science from Trinity College Dublin, and over 50 research papers presented at international conferences and published in journals. He currently leads a research group which focuses on the development of machine learning and network analysis algorithms. He is involved in a range of interdisciplinary projects which involve applying these methods in areas such as digital humanities, smart agriculture, and political science.
Current Research Interests:
- Text mining: Development and application of techniques for topic modeling, document clustering, text classification.
- Network analysis: Development of large-scale matrix analysis and community finding algorithms to dynamic, multi-modal graphs.
- Social media analytics: Using data mining and visualisation to explore trends and behaviours in online social media platforms. This has included work on topic modelling, sentiment analysis, content curation, and user recommendation systems.
- Digital humanities: Developing algorithms and tools to support the analysis and interpretation of data from the social sciences, and corpora from literary analysis.
- Victeur: ERC-funded project to develop computational methods to explore the role of European Migrants in Victorian and Neo-Victorian Culture.
- Contagion, Biopolitics & Cultural Memory: IRC-funded project looking at large scale historical datasets to understand contemporary attitudes and improve public health outcomes.
- Nation, Genre & Gender: IRC-funded project to develop methods for the comparative social network analysis of Irish and British fiction, 1800-1922.
- Action Editor, Springer Machine Learning journal (2020-)
- Associate Editor, Elsevier Journal of Machine Learning with Applications (2020-)
- Deputy Chair, UCD Research Ethics Committee for Sciences (2020-)
- Senior Programme Committee, ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (2020)
- Guest Editorial Board member, Springer Machine Learning journal (2020)
- Guest Editorial Board member, Springer Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery journal (2020)
- Organising Committee, Insight Workshop on Trustworthy AI (2020)
- Treasurer, Artificial Intelligence Association of Ireland (AIAI) (2017-)
- Member of Ireland ACM SIGCSE Chapter (2019-)
- Co-organiser, Quantitative Text Analysis Dublin Workshop (2019)
- Guest Editor, Springer Machine Learning journal (2018)
- Guest Editor, Springer Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery journal (2018)
- Member of RIA Ethical and Legal Aspects of Informatics Research Expert Working Group (2018)
- Member of Workshop on Irish-German/Fraunhofer Cooperation in Precision Agriculture (2018)
- Journal Track Chair, European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases (2018)
- Co-chair, 1st Irish Workshop on Effective Large Scale Computing for Big Data Analytics (2014)
- Co-chair, 6th International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media - ICWSM (2012)
- Program committee member for a range of international conferences in machine learning and data mining, including AAAI, WebConf, IJCAI, ICWSM, ACM CIKM, ACM RecSys, ICDM, ECML/PKDD, and ICML
- Reviewer for a range of journals and international conferences, including NeurIPS, InfoVis, PacificVis, ESWA, AISTATS, Bioinformatics, and AI Review
Contact me by mail at derek.greene [at] ucd.ie or on Twitter @derekgreene.